‘I know I’ll never see justice’: Man speaks out about being raped in the army showers

Graphic warning: This content may be distressing for some readers.

Terry King, 65, was gang-raped in the Burnham Military Camp showers in 1975. He has told his harrowing story for the first time as part of CTV’s Challenge the Silence series.

Terry King stood naked while the blood ran down his legs. It flowed into the water before heading towards the drain of the army showers.

The 21-year-old looked up and saw two regimental police also staring at the blood.

Published in New Zealand Herald

read more…

Using Peer Support in Developing Empowering Mental Health Services (UPSIDES): Background, Rationale and Methodology

Peers are people with lived experience of mental illness. Peer support is an established intervention in which peers offer support to others with mental illness. A large proportion of people living with severe mental illness receive no care. The care gap is largest in low- and middle-income countries, with detrimental effects on individuals and societies. The global shortage of human resources for mental health is an important driver of the care gap. Peers are an under-used resource in global mental health.

By Bernd Puschner, Julie Repper, Candelaria Mahlke, Rebecca Nixdorf, David Basangwa, Juliet Nakku, Grace Ryan, Dave Baillie, Donat Shamba, Mary Ramesh, Galia Moran, Max Lachmann, Jasmine Kalha, Soumitra Pathare, Annabel Müller-Stierlin, Mike Slade.

Read the article here

Social media firms to be penalised for not removing child abuse

New laws proposed to tackle social media companies streaming child abuse, extremism, terrorist attacks and cyberbullying have been welcomed by senior police and children’s charities.

Launched on Monday, the Online Harms white paper outlines what the government says are tough new laws for internet companies and the ability to enforce them.

The white paper, which was revealed in the Guardian last week, will legislate for a new statutory duty of care by social media firms and the appointment of an independent regulator, which is likely to be funded through a levy on the companies.

Published in The Guardian

read more…

Call for Sir Anand to resign from commission

A survivor abused as an altar boy by a Catholic priest in Dunedin is adding his voice to fresh calls for the chairman of the royal commission into historic abuse to resign.

It emerged over the weekend Sir Anand Satyanand – a former governor-general and the chairman of the Royal Commission of Inquiry into Historical Abuse in State Care and in the Care of Faith-based Institutions set up on February 1, 2018 – had offered to step down after disclosing his Catholic faith.

Sir Anand had written to Internal Affairs Minister Tracey Martin on September 1 to inform her he was a practising Catholic, involved in the Catholic community and had known Bishops in “church and social settings”.

Published in Otago Daily Times

read more…

Concerns about abuse inquiry boss ‘shut down’ – survivor

The government’s historical abuse inquiry is being accused of shutting down questions about the Commissioners’ potential conflicts of interest over their religious affiliations. Christopher Longhurst who was abused at a Catholic school also says the inquiry is unsafe for victims and he wants nothing more to do with it. Late last month the commission posted on its website a process for handling conflicts of interest though it’s been meeting abuse survivors for months. Ann Marie May reports.

Listen to report

By Morning Report
Published in Radio New Zealand
8 April 2019

Minister refuses state abuse inquiry chair’s resignation amid conflict criticism

Sir Anand Satyanand offered to withdraw as head of the country’s largest ever state inquiry amid worries about a perceived conflict of interest because of his Catholic faith.

Documents obtained by Stuff show Internal Affairs Minister Tracey Martin rejected the former Governor General’s offer, instead asking him for a plan to combat any risk to the integrity of the Royal Commission into Historical Abuse in State Care and Care in Faith-Based Institutions.

Child abuse survivors are calling for Satyanand’s resignation offer to be accepted. They say his position risks tainting the inquiry’s credibility – already mired in setbacks.

Published in Stuff

read more…

Vatican tightens laws on sexual abuse of minors

The Vatican issued tougher, comprehensive laws Friday governing the sexual abuse of minors within the Vatican City State, Vatican offices and its diplomatic embassies abroad.

Pope Francis personally signed off on the new legislation that includes mandatory reporting of potential sexual abuse cases to Vatican authorities and the automatic dismissal of any employee found guilty of sexual abuse against minors.

The new laws also raise the statute of limitations for reporting a crime to 20 years following the 18th birthday of an alleged victim. The previous law was four years from the date of the alleged crime.

The move comes in the wake of the Vatican’s unprecedented summit last month in Rome to confront the Catholic Church’s clergy abuse scandal.

Published in CNN

read more…

Few male sexual abuse survivors seeking help after Leaving Neverland, support group says

Few male survivors of sexual abuse are seeking help in the wake of Leaving Neverland, Better Blokes says.

Philipe Eyton is the North Shore facilitator for the Auckland-based organisation, which works with male sexual abuse victims.

Eyton said the documentary #Mentoo, which screened on TV in 2018, encouraged some male viewers to seek help but Leaving Neverland, which detailed the alleged abuse of two boys at the hands of Michael Jackson, had little response.

Published in Stuff

read more…

‘Sins of the Cardinal & His Church’ full documentary

Cardinal George Pell, a member of the Pope’s Council of nine advisers, was convicted of child abuse in Australia and sentenced to six years in prison in March 2019. CNN’s Anna Coren meets the people vowing to bring the Catholic church and its abusers to justice.
Source: CNN Vision

Please Note: This video has content that may be traumatising if you have been affected by abuse in the catholic church

To view the video, please visit the CNN website (24 minutes).

By CNN Vision
Published in CNN
March 2019

Dame Susan Devoy: State child care may explain why so many Maori are in prison

Years ago in a small town a Maori boy was caught stealing lollies at the local four square. A report labelled him a ‘thug” and he was made a state ward. He was ten years old. Put in a boy’s home where he was physically and sexually abused, he ended up doing very long stretches in isolation. He’d spend months at a time in a single cell. While there his parents died. When he was let out he was sent to live with a series of strangers, some of whom sexually and physically abused him. He was to spend time in and out of prison. He was an old man by the time he made meaningful contact with his whanau again. By then he’d lost so many things: language, whakapapa, whanau, childhood.

Published in Human Rights Commission

read more…

Michael Jackson’s trick was to groom an entire culture

It was hard this week – watching R Kelly jump up and down on CBS while claiming his greatest problem was being “big-hearted”, and sitting through four hours of Michael Jackson revelations – to hang on to the idea that the truth has implacable meaning. In both cases, the sense of outrage from the accused parties (in Jackson’s case, his estate) was palpable and brought to mind another example of male-pattern entitlement: that of Brett Kavanaugh during his supreme court confirmation hearing.

Published in The Guardian

read more…

Landmark human rights case seeks to make Church responsible for abusive priests

The Anglican Church is facing a landmark case from a parishioner arguing it should be responsible for abusive priests – one of whom allegedly harassed her in counselling sessions after her baby’s death.

It will be the first time a New Zealand church has been tested as an employer under human rights law, and if successful could prompt wholesale changes in the hiring and training of ministers.

Published in NZ Herald

read more…

Abuse inquiry’s scope wider

New Zealand’s pending royal commission into historical abuse will include the actions of predator priests who targeted children in family homes, on day trips and in other out-of-church settings, it has been confirmed.

The outcome, announced yesterday, has been praised by survivors advocate Liz Tonks and the Catholic Bishop of Dunedin, the Most Rev Michael Dooley.

Ms Tonks, a spokeswoman for the Network of Survivors of Abuse in Faith-based Institutions and their Supporters, told ODT Insight she was delighted by the news.

Published in Otago Daily Times

read more…

Child sexual abuse inquiry scope clarified

Priests who abused children in their own homes will be included in a Royal Commission into historical sexual abuse.

The move is being described as a change-in-scope by advocates but the Royal Commission says it is only a clarification of the exiting scope.

After the Government bowed to pressure and added abuse in faith-based institutions to the Royal Commission, victims and survivors were concerned the scope was too narrow, because it only looked at abuse in bricks-and-mortar institutions.

Published in Stuff

read more…

Cardinal Dew’s claim met with criticism from abuse victims

One of New Zealand’s most senior Catholic clergy has clashed with abuse victims over his claim bishops have no powers to remove predatory members of religious orders from their dioceses.

Wellington’s Cardinal John Dew is still in Rome after attending a critical four-day Vatican summit on clerical child sex abuse, which finished this morning.

The 22-25 February meeting was billed by the Vatican as the beginning of a worldwide series of reforms.

Published in Radio New Zealand

read more…

Abuse expert: Catholic bishops risk losing all credibility

The Catholic Church has set up a new body to liaise with the Royal Commission’s abuse inquiry, but its make-up has raised questions over its capacity to deliver truth.

A leading world expert on clerical child sex abuse told RNZ that if Te Rōpū Tautoko remained top-heavy with Church officials it would “only do the bidding of the bishops” and would have no credibility.

Published in Radio New Zealand

read more…

Horrific story of male abuse ends with ill informed newspaper recommendation for men to seek help from inappropriate organisations

WARNING: Distrubing content:

A UK man who was violently assaulted, stabbed and burnt by his abusive girlfriend has revealed for the first time the extent of his horrific injuries in a documentary.

Alex Skeel, 22, was “days from death” when police arrived at his home in June 2017. This led to an investigation and the arrest of Jordan Worth, who was the mother of his two children.

Worth was the first female in the UK to be convicted of controlling or coercive behaviour and grievous bodily harm.

Published in NZ Herald

read more…

Data breach and delay: survivors lose faith in New Zealand’s landmark child abuse inquiry

A year after it was announced – and more than a month after it was scheduled to begin – there has been little action.

Abuse survivors are beginning to lose faith in New Zealand’s nascent royal commission after months of poor communication, delay, at least one privacy breach and one survivor’s details being lost twice.

In February 2018 the New Zealand government announced it would hold a royal commission or judicial inquiry into abuse in state care, which it said would begin in January 2019.

Published in The Guardian

read more…

Sex crimes against boys: Auckland rugby coach Alosio Taimo sentenced to 22 years in jail

An Auckland rugby coach found guilty of 95 charges of sexually abusing young boys has been sentenced to 22 years’ jail.

Alosio Taimo, 56, will serve a minimum imprisonment period of 10 years for crimes committed across three decades against boys aged between 9 and 16 at the time.

Today in the High Court at Auckland, Crown prosecutor Jasper Rhodes argued for Taimo to be sentenced to preventive detention due to the seriousness of and his denial of the offending.

“We cannot say that his risk will be reduced at any point in the future.”

Published in NZ Herald

read more…

Man falsely accused of rape backs call for Blenheim’s first men’s refuge

A man tied up in a false rape claim has backed a call for a men’s refuge after he was kicked out of his flat and left homeless for a week.

Brett, who has asked for his last name to be kept secret, says he had nowhere to go after his ex-girlfriend reported a rape that never happened, and rumours began to spread.

Since speaking about how the allegation “destroyed” his life, Brett has thrown his support behind a call for an agency to support men, similar to Women’s Refuge.

Published in Stuff

read more…

Sexual violence against males

The sexual abuse of male children is more common than many people think. One New Zealand study (1) found that one in five sexually abused children is male, and overseas research suggests that 16% of males will experience sexual abuse before the age of 18 (2). The majority of the sexual abuse that boys experience is perpetrated by family members (‘incest’).

Published in Rape Prevention Education

read more…

Cardinal who abused children banished from the Catholic Church

Former US cardinal Theodore McCarrick has been expelled from the Roman Catholic priesthood after he was found guilty of sexual crimes against minors and adults.

Pope Francis decided the ruling, which followed an appeal by the man who was a power-broker as Archbishop of Washington DC from 2001 to 2006, was now final.

A Vatican statement on Saturday said his crimes were made more serious by “the aggravating factor of the abuse of power”.

Published in Newshub

read more…

Are ‘men’ the problem?

This is our belated contribution to the #MeToo discussion. When we make female perpetrators invisible, we make their mostly male victims invisible too. Blaming ‘men’ not only makes it harder for male victims to get help, it also puts them at risk of secondary victimisation when they present as a victim yet are treated like a perpetrator.

#MeToo #MenToo #Gillette #TheBestMenCanBe #APA #MenAreTheProblem

YouTube https://youtu.be/B40nmG5lYSw

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/OneInThree/videos/401372107293944/&show_text=1

Published in One in Three Campaign
February 11, 2019

Former Child Youth and Family caregiver accused of abusing boys in his care

A former Child Youth and Family caregiver has been charged with historical sexual offending against 17 boys.

The man, aged in his 50s, worked for Oranga Tamariki’s predecessor in Auckland and faces 43 charges.

Stuff understands the offending happened inside the Child Youth and Family facility.

Sixteen of the boys were in the care of the man at the time of the offending and staying at the Child Youth and Family facility in the mid-2000s.

Published in Stuff

read more…

Peter Gogarty campaigned for a royal commission, now he wants to see the Catholic Church in court

THE international “court of last resort” is considering a Hunter submission to investigate the Catholic Church for crimes against humanity as the world’s most senior bishops prepare to meet at the Vatican in February to deal with a worsening global child sexual abuse crisis.

Hunter abuse survivor Peter Gogarty has asked International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda to consider whether she can initiate a case against some of the church’s most powerful clerics for failing to respond to sexual crimes against children, under international law previously used in war crimes cases.

Published in The Herald

read more…

Child sex abuser memorialised in Marist rugby club’s trophy

A trophy handed out to an All Black-producing rugby club is named after a convicted sex offender.

A movement is now underway, led by a victim of Catholic child sex abuse, to rename the Brother Claudius Cup, named after Marist Brother Claudius Pettit who sexually abused a boy at a Wellington school.

Auckland Marist Brothers Old Boys Rugby, which hands out a trophy for most tries scored, would not comment when contacted by Stuff on Tuesday.

Published in Stuff

read more…

Breaking the Silence of Male Trauma Survivors | Debra Warner – TEDX talk

You have heard of the #MeToo movement. But have you heard of the #MenToo movement? Little is known about male trauma and Dr. Debra Warner explains that men are also suffering sexual assault. Dr. Debra Warner is a leading forensic psychologist, trauma expert, author, and speaker who specializes in male trauma. She is the spouse of a male survivor and authored “His History, Her Story, a Survival Guide for Spouses of Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse and Trauma.” She has devoted her professional efforts to helping men and their loved ones confront and conquer their long term effects of trauma on the male psyche. She frequently addresses issues related to the #MenToo movement, challenges masculinity stereotypes, and works to dismantle stigmas related to male trauma. She currently is a professor at the Los Angeles campus of the Chicago School of Professional Psychology’s Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology, and a sought-out expert witness, psychological evaluator, and consultant. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx